You don’t need dairy cheese to make this lovely Vegan Macaroni Cheese. This recipe uses a creamy sauce made with nutritional yeast flakes, stirred through Penne pasta, which is then baked with crispy breadcrumbs and slices of tomato.
Vegan Macaroni Cheese
Preparation/cooking time 40 mins
200g/7 oz Penne pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/3 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 cups soya or other non-dairy milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup white breadcrumbs
1. Cook your pasta according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
3. Meanwhile, make the cheesy sauce. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. When it is hot, cook the onion and garlic until soft, before stirring in the flour, mustard and herbs. Then gradually add the milk, stirring constantly to keep the sauce smooth and encourage the flour to break down and thicken the sauce. Beat with a hand whisk to help remove any lumps, as you add the yeast flakes. Taste and season with salt & pepper.
4. Add some more milk if the sauce is too thick.
5. Tip the cooked pasta into a medium-sized baking dish, then stir through the cheesy sauce. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, then arrange the tomato slices on the top.
6. Bake for 25-30 mins. The top should go golden and crispy.